Reference Material Related to the Disorders and Dementia's:
This reference library will provide you with a wealth of information and tools. Each link will take you to the originating source for the information referenced in our books and throughout this website.
Please note: Over time, links may get broken or the referenced page or file may be removed from the web. Please feel free to report any broken links to us.
1. Miyamoto T, et al. (2011) Idiopathic-REM-Sleep-Behavior-Disorder:-Implications-for-the-Pathogenesis-of-Lewy-Body-Diseases. Parkinsons Dis. 2011; 2011: 941268.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3096138/.
2. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. (2012) Multiple System Atrophy Fact Sheet.http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/msa/detail_msa.htm
3. Vya U and Franco R. (2012) REM Behavior Disorder (RBD) as an Early Marker for Development of Neurodegenerative Diseases. BJMP 2012;5(1):a506.http://www.bjmp.org/content/rem-behavior-disorder-rbd-early-marker-development-neurodegenerative-diseases
4. NHS Choices. (2011) Corticobasal degeneration. NHS, Health A-Z. Last reviewed 2/12/11.http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Corticobasal-degeneration/Pages/Introduction.aspx
5. NIH Publication No. 11-3897. (2011) Progressive Supranuclear Palsy Fact Sheet, NINDS, May 2011.http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/psp/detail_psp.htm#184703281
6. Walitza S, et. al. (2007) Association of Parkinson's disease with symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in childhood. J Neural Transm Suppl. 2007;(72):311-5.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17982908
7. Lewy Body Dementia Association. (2013) Is It LBD or Something Else http://www.lbda.org/node/8
8. University of California, San Francisco. (2012) Frontotemporal Dementia, Overview. http://memory.ucsf.edu/ftd/overview
9. Lewy Body Dementia Association. (2012) Genetic Variant Increases Risk for Dementia in Lewy Body Diseases http://www.lbda.org/content/genetic-mutation-increases-risk-dementia-lewy-body-diseases
10. Brauser D. (2011) Adult ADHD Linked to Increased Risk for Lewy Body Dementia. Medscape Today, Jan 27, 2011. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/736380 (requires free login)
11. Lennox G (2006) Managing Dementia and Parkinson's Disease. A PowerPoint presentation. http://www.bjhm.co.uk/ppts/(21-09-2006)parkinsons2006/managing-dementia-and-parkinsons-disease.ppt
12. Alzheimer's Association. (2013) 2013 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures, Alzheimer's & Dementia, Volume 9, Issue 2. http://www.alz.org/downloads/facts_figures_2013.pdf
13. Aarsland D, et al. (2005) A systematic review of prevalence studies of dementia in Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord. 2005 Oct;20(10):1255-63. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16041803
14. Susman E. (2013) Mental Deficits Show Up Early in Parkinson's.17th Annual International Congress on Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders. MedPage Today, June 20, 2013. http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/MDS/40000
15. Meireles J and Massano J (2012) Cognitive impairment and dementia in Parkinson's disease: clinical features, diagnosis, and management. Front. Neur. 3:88. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2012.00088. A review of the literature about these subjects through 2011. http://www.frontiersin.org/Dementia/10.3389/fneur.2012.00088/full
16. Aarsland D and Kurz MW (2010). The epidemiology of dementia associated with Parkinson disease. J. Neurol. Sci. 289, 18-22. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2009.08.034. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19733364
17. Rana A, et al. (2012) Prevalence and relation of dementia to various factors in Parkinson's disease. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences 2012; 66: 64-68. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1440-1819.2011.02291.x/pdf
18. Remedy Health Media (2011) John Hopkins Health Alerts: Six Signs of Cognitive Impairment in Parkinson's Disease Patients. Posted September 26, 2011. http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/alerts/memory/cognitive-impairment-Parkinsons_5902-1.html
19. Parkinson's Disease Foundation. (2013) Predicting Dementia in Early Parkinson's Disease. PDF, Science News. Apr 19, 2013. http://www.pdf.org/en/science_news/release/pr_1366397267
20. Postuma R, et. al. (2012) Rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder and risk of dementia in Parkinson's disease: a prospective study. Movement Disorders, Volume 27, Issue 6, pages 720-726, May 2012. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/mds.24939/abstract
21. J.S. Saczynski J S, et al. (2010) Depressive symptoms and risk of dementia. Neurology July 6, 2010 vol. 75 no. 1 35-41. http://www.neurology.org/content/75/1/35.abstract
22. Science Newsline, Medicine (2010) Mayo Clinic Study Finds Apathy And Depression Predict Progression from Mild Cognitive Impairment. Science Newsline, from Geda Y E, Mayo Clinic News, July 12, 2010. http://www.sciencenewsline.com/articles/2010071212000043.html
23. WebMD.(2013) Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: ADHD in Adults. Reviewed by Quinn P on January 30, 2013. http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-adults
24. Walitza S, et. al. (2007) Association of Parkinson's disease with symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in childhood. J Neural Transm Suppl. 2007;(72):311-5. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17982908
25. Susman E. (2013) Docs Ignore Constipation in Parkinson's. 17th Annual International Congress on Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders. MedPage Today, June 17, 2013. http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/MDS/39901
26. Alzheimer's Society. (2011) Urinary tract infection (UTI) and dementia. Fact Sheet 528. Reviewed 2011. http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1777
27. Aarsland D, et al. (2005) Neuroleptic sensitivity in Parkinson's disease and parkinsonian dementias. J Clin Psychiatry. 2005 May;66(5):633-7. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15889951
28. Pederson T. (1997) The Unique Sensitivity of the Elderly. ExtoxNet FAQs on Sensitive Populations. http://extoxnet.orst.edu/faqs/senspop/elder.htm
29. Drugs.com (2013) Benzodiazepines. http://www.drugs.com/drug-class/benzodiazepines.html
30. Billioti de GS (2012) Benzodiazepine use and risk of dementia: prospective population based study BMJ 2012;345:e6231, 9-27-2012. http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e6231
31. Collingwood, J. (2007). Inhaled Anesthetics Bring Alzheimer's Risk. Psych Central. http://psychcentral.com/lib/inhaled-anesthetics-bring-alzheimers-risk/000898
32. National Clinical Guideline Centre (UK). (2011) The Management of Hip Fracture in Adults [Internet]. London: Royal College of Physicians (UK); 2011. (NICE Clinical Guidelines, No. 124.) 8, Regional (spinal or epidural) versus general anaesthesia. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK83023/
33. Barnett S, et. al. (2009) Frequently Asked Questions About Anesthetic Considerations for Elderly Patients. American Society of Anesthesiologists Committee on Geriatric Anesthesia. http://www.sagahq.org/images/FAQs.pdf or:
34. Lewy Body Dementia Association. (2008) LBD Medical Alert Wallet Card. http://lbda.org/content/lbd-medical-alert-wallet-card
35. LBDA.(2012)Emergency Room Treatment of Psychosis. http://lbda.org/go/er
36. Leroi I, et. al. (2011) Neuropsychiatric Symptoms in Parkinson's Disease with Mild Cognitive Impairment and Dementia. Parkinson's Disease, Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 308097, 10 pages.doi:10.1155/2012/308097. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/pd/2012/308097/ref/
37. Munat F (2012) Be Brave. Unpublished book. http://florriemunat.com/contact_florrie_munat
38. Goetz CG et al. (2006). The malignant course of "benign" hallucinations in Parkinson's Disease. Archives of Neurology 63:713-716. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16682540
39. eHealthMe (2012) Could Parkinson's disease cause delusion http://www.ehealthme.com/cs/parkinson's+disease/delusion
40. Phelps R and Leblanc G (2012) While I Still Can. Xlibris Corporation. http://whileistillcan.net/
41. LBDA (2010) Caregiver Burden in Lewy Body Dementia. http://lbda.org/go/caregiverburden
42. Manohor A and Galvin J(2011) Brain imaging for Lewy Body Dementia. Lewy Body Dementia Association, 3/16/2011. http://www.lbda.org/node/543
43. Alzheimer's Weekly. (2013) Is It Lewy Body Dementia or Alzheimer's? Datscan Can Tell. Alzheimer's Weekly, March 24, 2013. http://www.alzheimersweekly.com/2013/03/is-it-lewy-body-dementia-or-alzheimers.html
44. Goldstein D. (2012) Cardiac Sympathetic Neuroimaging in Dementia with Lewy Bodies. J Neuroimaging. 2012 April; 22(2): 109-110. doi: 10.1111/j.1552-6569.2010.00526.x http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3030932/
45. Vertesi A, et al. (2001) Standardized Mini-Mental State Examination. Use and interpretation. Canadian Family Physician, VOL 47: OCTOBER 2001 http://www.cfp.ca/content/47/10/2018.full.pdf
46. Palmqvist S. et al. (2009) Practical suggestions on how to differentiate dementia with Lewy bodies from Alzheimer's disease with common cognitive tests. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2009; 24: 1405-1412. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19347836
47. Carolan Doerflinger D (2012) Mental Status Assessment in Older Adults: Montreal Cognitive Assessment: MoCA Version 7.1 (Original Version) College of Nursing. http://consultgerirn.org/uploads/File/trythis/try_this_3_2.pdf From a 2012 Series provided by the Hartford Institute of Geriatric Nursing, NYU.
48. Changing Minds.org (2002-2012) The Kübler-Ross Grief Cycle. Disciplines, Change Management. http://changingminds.org/disciplines/change_management/kubler_ross/kubler_ross.htm
49. Jennings J. (2012) Living with Lewy Body Dementia. One Caregiver's Personal In-depth Experience. (2012) WestBow Press. http://www.ourlewybodydementiaadventure.com/
50. Meyyappan R. (2013) LBD and Social Security Disability Benefits. The Lewy Body Rollercoaster, June 8, 2013 blog. http://lewybodydementia.blogspot.com/2013/06/lbd-and-social-security-disability.html
51. Jong N (2013) Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) SeniorHomes.com. http://www.seniorhomes.com/p/activities-of-daily-living/
52. Wikipedia. (2013) Activities of Daily Living. ( 2013) Wikipedia, Therapy category. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activities_of_daily_living
53. Medicaid.gov.(2013) Spousal Impoverishment. http://medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHIP-Program-Information/By-Topics/Eligibility/Spousal-Impoverishment-Page.html
54. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. (2013) Guide to Long Term Care. Geriatrics and Extended Care. http://www.va.gov/GERIATRICS/Guide/LongTermCare/index.asp
55. Memory People Facebook Page. A closed group for dementia victims, their caregivers and advocates
56. Olpin M. (2010) The World is NOT a Stressful Place, Eloquent Books, 2010. Chapter 13. http://faculty.weber.edu/molpin/healthclasses/1110/bookchapters/musicchapter.htm
57. Ramig L, et al. (2009) The Science and Practice of "Speaking LOUD" and "Moving BIG." 2009, APDA, Midwest Chapter. http://www.apdamidwest.org/APDA_Midwest/Speaking_LOUD.html
58. Lourinda I, et al. (2013) Mediterranean Diet, Cognitive Function, and Dementia: A Systematic Review. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23680940
59. Cassels C (2013) Novel Exercise Program May Trump Meds for Dementia. Medscape Today, Mar 28, 2013. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/781607
60. Ryan (2012) Four Scientific Findings that point to the importance of Brain Fitness for the Aging Population brain. 5/29/2012. http://www.marblesthebrainstore.com/files/Brain_Fitness_for_the_Aging.pdf
61. Aubrey A. (2010) Mental Stimulation Postpones, Then Speeds Dementia. NPR News. September 4, 2010. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129628082
62. Jennings J. (2012) Living with Lewy Body Dementia. One Caregiver's Personal In-depth Experience. (2012) WestBow Press. http://www.ourlewybodydementiaadventure.com/
63. Levine B. (2011) Warding Off Dementia. Baseline of Health Foundation Health Blog. 6/21/2011. http://www.jonbarron.org/article/warding-dementia
64. Ramig L, et al. (2009) The Science and Practice of "Speaking LOUD" and "Moving BIG." 2009, APDA, Midwest Chapter. http://www.apdamidwest.org/APDA_Midwest/Speaking_LOUD.html
65. JeanneG (2012) Fore! LBDA forum, LBD Clinical Issues, Treatment Options. June 9, 2012. http://community.lbda.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3483
66. Schneider C. (2006) Don't Bury Me…It Ain't Over Yet. Author House. http://www.lbdtools.com/shop_books.html
67. Jennings J (2012) Living with Lewy Body Dementia. One Caregiver's Personal In-depth Experience. (2012) WestBow Press. http://www.ourlewybodydementiaadventure.com/
68. Silver H. (2009) "Food Modification verses Oral Liquid Nutrition Supplementation." The Economic, Medical/Scientific and Regulatory Aspects of Clinical Nutrition Practice: What Impacts What? 2009.Vol 12, pp 79-93. Web. 5 Mar. 2013. http://www.nestlenutrition-institute.org/resources/library/Free/workshop/BookNNIW12/Documents/NNW012079.pdf
69. Jones P. (2008) Sleeping Aids for Seniors and Seniors With Dementia: Melatonin and Zolpidem. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. July, 2008. http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/Health-Research-Journals.aspx?ChunkID=330428
70. Tsuang D, et al. (2010) Association between lifetime cigarette smoking and Lewy body accumulation. Brain Pathol. 2010 March; 20(2): 412-18. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2864364/
71. Tubeza P (2013) FDA warns on dangers of e-cigarettes. Philippine Daily Inquirer, June 27, 2013. http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/434233/fda-warns-on-dangers-of-e-cigarettes
72. Boston University Medical Center (2010) Moderate drinking, especially wine, associated with better cognitive function. ScienceDaily, 08/2010. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100818085651.htm
73. Dartmouth College, Academic Skills Center. (2006) Alcohol and Sleep. Academic Skills Center, Dartmouth College 2001 BASICS - A Harm Reduction Approach. Oregon State University http://studenthealth.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/docs/alcohol_and_sleep.pdf
74. Jaffee S. (2013) Therapy Plateau No Longer Ends. The New Old Age. Caring and Coping. http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/therapy-plateau-no-longer-ends-coverage/?hp
75. Snyder, Pat. (2012) Treasures in the Darkness. CreateSpace Independent Publishing. http://lbd-caregiver.blogspot.com/
76. University of California - Davis (2009) Brain Hub That Links Music, Memory And Emotion Discovered. ScienceDaily, February 24, 2009. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090223221230.htm
77. Omar R, et al. (2011) The structural neuroanatomy of music emotion recognition: Evidence from frontotemporal lobar degeneration. NCBI.Neuroimage. 2011 June 1; 56(3): 1814-1821. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092986/
78. Snyder, Pat. (2012) Treasures in the Darkness. CreateSpace Independent Publishing. http://lbd-caregiver.blogspot.com/
79. Bucznski R. (2012) Does Spirituality Belong in Therapy. National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine. July 25, 2012. http://www.nicabm.com/nicabmblog/spirituality-in-therapy
80. Fung J, et. al. (2012) A systematic review of the use of aromatherapy in treatment of behavioral problems in dementia. Geriatrics & Geriatr Gerontol Int 2012; 12: 372-382. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1447-0594.2012.00849.x/abstract
81. Lanza S. (2007) Aromatherapy in Dementia Care. The Dementia Caregiver's Toolbox, Parts 1, 2 and 3. November 18, 20 and 23, 2007 http://nurturingnuggets.typepad.com/the_nurturing_nuggets_blo/2007/11/aromatherapy-in.html
82. Baldauf M P. (2011, Dec 27) "In Memory Of My Father, Richard Baldauf." Every Woman Blog. Posted on http://everywomanblog.com/2011/12/
83. British Acupuncture Council (2013) Dementia. Back to Research Fact Sheet. March 28, 2013 http://www.acupuncture.org.uk/a-to-z-of-conditions/a-to-z-of-conditions/3202-dementia.html
84. Yang M-H, et al. (2007) The efficacy of acupressure for decreasing agitated behavior in dementia: a pilot study. J Clin Nurs. 2007 Feb;16(2):308-15. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17239066
85. Viggo H N,et al. (2006) Massage and touch for dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006 Oct 18;(4):CD004989. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17054228
87. Scarff S and Zultner A. (2012) Dementia. The Journey Ahead. Langdon Street Press, MN. http://www.dementiathejourneyahead.com/
88. Walker, Joy, (2011) Three Years and Thirteen Dumpsters: Cleaning House After Dementia. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Blog: http://cleaninghousebook.blogspot.comBook:http://www.lbdtools.com/shop_books.html
89. Schneider C. (2006) Don't Bury Me…It Ain't Over Yet. Author House. http://www.lbdtools.com/shop_books.html
90. Wesolowski, K. (2010) When Should People With Dementia Stop Driving? Neurology Now: May/June 2010 - Volume 6 - Issue 3 - p 11 http://patients.aan.com/resources/neurologynow/?event=home.showArticle&id=ovid.com:/bib/ovftdb/01222928-201006030-00008
91. CaregiverStress.com. (2010) The 50/50 Rule: Solving Family Conflict. http://www.caregiverstress.com/family-communication/solving-family-conflict/sharing-care-plans/
92. Agingcare.com. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in Elders. National Institutes of Health. http://www.agingcare.com/Articles/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-in-elderly-parents-138686.htm
93. Parkinson's Disease Foundation. (2010) The Ups and Downs of Dopamine: Impulse Control and Parkinson's. An Interview with Dr. Daniel Weintraub. News and Review. http://www.pdf.org/pdf/NL_Fall_10.pdf
94. Snyder, Pat. (2012) Treasures in the Darkness, Create Space Independent Publishing Book http://www.lbdtools.com/shop_books.html
95. Whitworth, H. (2013) Hospice is for Life not Death. The Lewy Body Rollercoaster. June 15, 2013. http://lewybodydementia.blogspot.com/2013/06/hospice-is-for-life-not-death.html
96.  Cane, M. (2015) Elderly at risk when antipsychotic drugs used to treat dementia. The Columbus Dispatch • Monday November 2, 2015. http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/11/02/elderly-at-risk-in-using-antipsychotic-medications.html
97.  H. C. Kales, et. al. (2015) Assessment and management of behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia. BMJ, 2015; 350 (mar02 7): h369 DOI: 10.1136/bmj.h369. kales_bmj_2015.pdf
98. Crisis Prevention Institute. (2016) Use This Life Story Questionnaire for More Person-Centered Dementia Care. https://www.crisisprevention.com/CPI/media/Media/Specialties/dcs/Life-Story-Questionnaire.pdf
99. Whitworth H (2007) Barbara and Bill Hutchinson, Travelers Extraordinaire. First published in the LBDA Lewy Body Digest, Spring 2007.
Reference Material Related to Non- Drug Options and Alternative Therapies:
1. Statistics on Complementary and Alternative Medicine National Health Interview Survey - http://nccam.nih.gov/news/camstats/NHIS.htm
4. The Journal of Neuroscience, November 9, 2005 o 25(45):10390 -10402 Symposium-Neurobiological Mechanisms of the Placebo Effect
Fabrizio Benedetti,1 Helen S. Mayberg,2 Tor D. Wager,3 Christian S. Stohler,4 and Jon-Kar Zubieta5
1Department of Neuroscience, University of Turin Medical School, 10125 Turin, Italy, 2Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, 3Department of Psychology, Columbia University, New York, New York 10027, 4School of Dentistry, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, and 5Department of Psychiatry and Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109
5. Psychological Medicine / Volume 21 / Issue 01 / February 1991, pp 51-57 Copyright © Cambridge University Press 1991 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0033291700014641 (About DOI), Published online: 09 July 2009
Relationships between emotional control, adjustment to cancer and depression and anxiety in breast cancer patients
Maggie Watsona1 c1, Steven Greera1, Linda Rowdena1, Christine Gormana1, Bernadette Robertsona1, Judith M. Blissa1 and Robert Tunmorea1a1 Cancer Research Campaign Psychological Medicine Research Group and the Section of Epidemiology, Institute of Cancer Research and the Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, Surrey
6. P. Crichton In conversation with H. Steven Greer Published by The Royal College of Psychiatrists http://pb.rcpsych.org/ on February 17, 2014 Psychiatric Bulletin 2000, 24:189-192. http://pb.rcpsych.org/
8. Bowes, A. et. al. (2013) Physical activity for people with dementia: a scoping study. BMC GeriatricsBMC series ¿ open, inclusive and trusted201313:129. http://bmcgeriatr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2318-13-129DOI: 10.1186/1471-2318-13-129
9. Wegerer, J. (2014) Nutrition and Dementia: Foods That May Induce Memory Loss & Increase Alzheimer’s, Alzheimers.net 1/2/2014. http://www.alzheimers.net/2014-01-02/foods-that-induce-memory-loss/
10. Environmental Adaptations to Dementia
Reference files 11 "Presenting Poster" and "Abstract" are NOT recommended for download on a cellular device.
11. Presenting Poster (in PDF for download) : “Non-drug Approaches for Care Partners to Use When a Loved One Living with LBD has Behavioral Changes."
Abstract and Presenter Bios (PowerPoint Presentation for download): "Abstract - Non-pharmacological Approaches to Address the Behavioral Changes in People Living with Lewy Body Dementia."
Presenters: Rosemary Dawson, Ed.D.; Helen Whitworth, MS, BSN; and Jim Whitworth, LBDA co-founder.
Lanza S. (2007) Aromatherapy in Dementia Care. The Dementia Caregiver's Toolbox, Parts 1, 2 and 3. November 18, 20 and 23, 2007http://nurturingnuggets.typepad.com/the_nurturing_nuggets_blo/2007/11/aromatherapy-in.html or
- Aroma-therapeutic effects of massage blended essential oils on humans. Hongratanaworakit T1. Nat Prod Commun. 2011 Aug;6(8):1199-2041Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Srinakharinwirot University, Rangsit-Ongkharak Road, Nakhonnayok 26120, Thailand. [email protected]
- Ambient odors of orange and lavender reduce anxiety and improve mood in a dental office. Physiol Behav. 2005 Sep 15;86(1-2):92-5. Lehrner J1, Marwinski G, Lehr S, Johren P, Deecke L.
- Using Lavender to Treat Anxiety Written by: Michael Greger M.D. [http://nutritionfacts.org/author/mgreger/] on January 14th, 2014
- February 2012 Vol. 4 Issue 2 Natural Medicine Journal Lavender Oil for Anxiety and Depression Review of the literature on the safety and efficacy of lavender By Jeremy Appleton, ND
- Journal of Exercise and Rehabilitation. 2013 Apr; 9(2): 250-255. Published online 2013 Apr 25. doi: 10.12965/jer.130007 PMCID: PMC3836517 Effects of Ylang-Ylang aroma on blood pressure and heart rate in healthy men Da-Jung Jung,1 Jun-Youl Cha,2 Sung-Eun Kim,3 Il-Gyu Ko,3 and Yong-Seok Jee4,*
- Cha JH, Lee SH, Yoo YS. Effects of aromatherapy on changes in the autonomic nervous system, aortic pulse wave velocity and aortic augmentation index in patients with essential hypertension. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2010;40:705-713. [PubMed]
- Kutlu AK, Ylmaz E, Çeçen D. Effects of aroma inhalation on examination anxiety. Teach Learn Nurs. 2008;3:125-130.
Sound, Music and Vibration Therapy:
The link below is to a list of medical and scientific journals that has been compiled for those who may be interested in doing further research into the subject of brainwave states, binaural beats, the frequency following response, and sound therapy.
Copies of these articles and research papers can be obtained through your local public library or university library. You can download the list by clicking this link:
University of California - Davis (2009) Brain Hub That Links Music, Memory And Emotion Discovered. ScienceDaily, February 24, 2009. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090223221230.htm or:76-Music-Memory-and-Emotion.pdf
Omar R, et al. (2011) The structural neuroanatomy of music emotion recognition: Evidence from frontotemporal lobar degeneration. NCBI.Neuroimage. 2011 June 1; 56(3): 1814-1821.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092986/ or: 77-music-emotion-recognition.pdf
Puzzle Therapy / Memory Boosters:
Ryan (2012) Four Scientific Findings that point to the importance of Brain Fitness for the Aging Population brain. 5/29/2012. http://www.marblesthebrainstore.com/files/Brain_Fitness_for_the_Aging.pdf
PLEASE NOTE: These statements and therapies have not been evaluated by the FDA as medical treatment or cure for any disease and are provided as a possible additions to current medical treatment to enhance quality of life and comfort. This information is based on research, studies, observations and experienced use by therapists, physicians, caregivers and their patients / loved ones. Many physicians are in favor of the use of these alternative therapies. Some are not. We recommend discussing any therapies you are considering with your physician, make an effort to partner with him / her in their use before starting. Ultimately the decision is yours.
Any reference articles or papers found on this website have been used in accordance with the "Fair Use Doctrine" and are for the sole purpose of education and informing readers on specific topics related to this site. These articles / papers are not for commercial purposes to reprint or publish for gain.
A Special Caregiver's LBDtools.com Offer!
This is a $62.85 Value for $52.85
THAT'S A $10.00 SAVINGS!
The Caregivers Guide to Lewy Body Dementia by award winning authors Helen and James Whitworth is the first book to present a thorough picture of Lewy body dementia in everyday language.
Responsive Dementia Care: Fewer Behaviors, Fewer Drugs provides family and professional caregivers with tools for dealing with difficult dementia-related behaviors.
This trio pack is rounded out with the UPDATED Riding a Rollercoaster With Lewy Body Dementia, the Whitworth's manual for caregivers of LBD patients.